- August 14, 2017
- Posted by: Gail Giles-Gidney
- Category: Update
Over the past three years I have had the honour of serving Willoughby City as your Mayor, and prior to that, since 2009 as a
Councillor in Sailors Bay Ward.
On Saturday, 9 September 2017, I will be standing for re-election as your Mayor and for Council.
During my time on Council and as Mayor, I have had the pleasure of meeting a great many of Willoughby’s residents. I believe I genuinely understand what our community most values and have demonstrated the strong leadership required to make our City and our community even better than it is today.
Whilst I have been Mayor, Council has:
- Delivered new playgrounds and all-weather sporting surfaces
- Completed a significant upgrade of Willoughby Park
- Revitalised Chatswood including introducing the Vivid Light Festival
- Adopted a new traffic and parking strategy for our City; and
- Renewed the roads, paths and infrastructure supporting many of our local shopping precincts
In terms of the future, there are some important and persistent issues for us still to address – and we now have well-developed
plans to do just that. I am committed to Willoughby Council under my leadership:
- Continuing to reject overdevelopment not fitting the balance of commercial residential, retail and village lifestyle that our
community demands; and
- Continuing to invest in significant community assets including Northbridge and Artarmon Bowling Clubs, the Willoughby Leisure
Centre and The Concourse.
I am also personally excited by our focus on sustainability, inspired by our natural and built heritage, and I am a strong supporter of
our Council’s commitment to transparency.
Finally and importantly, I am pleased to advise that we are now in a strong financial position from which to execute these plans. We
have cash balances almost 2.5 times the level of intergenerational debt that funds The Concourse, and we are benefiting from hard
decisions made over the past three years reducing Council costs and improving efficiency.
I love my job, being Mayor of our wonderful City, and I will be asking for your vote, to continue to lead Willoughby into a new Council term.
Thank you in advance for your consideration.