- May 23, 2015
- Posted by: Gail Giles-Gidney
- Category: Update
The lights of Vivid Sydney are now on in Chatswood!
For me, this was the culmination of a dream. A idea developed early in 2014, first whispered in the Mayoral election campaign of April 2014, then an approach to Destination NSW with a concept plan in October 2014, and a go ahead given in late November. Sponsorship provided by Chatswood Interchange, Westfield Chatswood, Chatswood Chase Sydney and Willoughby City Council sealed the deal in late January 2015, and as a result, in spite of the odds, we have done it!
Yes, it’s true that back in early 2014 the “handbag” invoked Darryl Kerrigan from the Castle, and pronounced “You’re Dreaming!. I must admit, there were times even I thought it would never happen.
But now this dream is a reality.
Something like this takes an enormous commitment from many people, who I cannot all name. However, I personally wanted to thank a few people without whom this would certainly have never happened:
- Ignatius Jones from Destinations NSW who loved the idea for the outset.
- Northbridge resident Mark Hunter, who introduced me to creative genius Lucy Keeler from Ample Projects. Lucy provided the introduction to Ignatius and the team.
- Neil Werrett, Peter Allen, Michael Gorman and their teams at The Chatswood Interchange, Westfield Chatswood and Chatswood Chase Sydney, for their enthusiastic support and sharing the vision.
- Greg Khoury and the team at Concourse for their unwavering support and enthusiasm.
- Council officers who worked incredibly hard to make sure this dream became a reality. In particular GM Debra Just, Gary Parsons, Rebecca Hill, Jeff Ellis, Kate Day, Tracey Crouch, David Sung to name just a few.
- Doreen Cruikshank and the wonderfully enthusiastic Chatswood Police
- Gladys Berejiklian MP and Transport NSW
- My fellow Councillors who supported this concept and have been as excited about the project as I have been.